Re: [Exim] wacky idea with exiscan and SpamAssassin

Author: Matt Bernstein
To: Chris Edwards
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] wacky idea with exiscan and SpamAssassin
At 11:28 -0000 Chris Edwards wrote:

>I'd be wary of introducing delays at this critical point in the dialog
>(after DATA). There is a risk duplicating bona-fide mails. The delay
>between the client sending the `.' and the server sending the response
>should be as short as possible. See RFC 1047 for discussion of this.

RFC1047 is dated "Feb-01-1988" and its status is "UNKNOWN". In particular,
1988 was pretty much still in those heady days when spam simply wasn't a
problem, and although viruses did exist, e-mail was not a good medium for
them to propagate.

>Those of us doing content scanning at this point are in effect going
>against this advice. However, in our environment, the average scan time
>is around 0.3 seconds which seems to be quick enough in practice.
>
>I think anti-spam delays need to happen earlier in the dialog.

This is obviously impossible with content scanning!

I take your point, but I'm prepared to take the gamble. My Cyrus store can
deal with duplicates :-P

Matt