Re: [Exim] wacky idea with exiscan and SpamAssassin

Author: Chris Edwards
To: Matt Bernstein
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] wacky idea with exiscan and SpamAssassin
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Matt Bernstein wrote:

|           delay = {$spam_score_int}s

I'd be wary of introducing delays at this critical point in the dialog
(after DATA). There is a risk duplicating bona-fide mails. The delay
between the client sending the `.' and the server sending the response
should be as short as possible. See RFC 1047 for discussion of this.

Those of us doing content scanning at this point are in effect going
against this advice. However, in our environment, the average scan time
is around 0.3 seconds which seems to be quick enough in practice.

I think anti-spam delays need to happen earlier in the dialog.

--
Chris Edwards, Glasgow University Computing Service