Re: [Exim] OT: Problem sending mail to verizon.net

Author: Willie Viljoen
To: I. Forbes, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] OT: Problem sending mail to verizon.net
This is from a machine in Bloemfontein, SA, on the old SBS network, to the
same server you tried. The hostname is apollo.laserfence.net and reverse DNS
records resolve that same name. I first tried my normal e-mail address,
will@???, and it worked fine. Then I tried another address,
will@???, which was also accepted.

%telnet relay.verizon.net 25
Trying 206.46.170.12...
Connected to relay.verizon.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 sc003.verizon.net MailPass SMTP server v1.0.6 - 103003062626JY ready
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 07:17:31 -0600
HELO apollo.laserfence.net
250 sc003.verizon.net
MAIL FROM:<will@???>
250 Sender <will@???> OK
QUIT
221 sc003.verizon.net closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.
%telnet relay.verizon.net 25
Trying 206.46.170.12...
Connected to relay.verizon.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 sc010.verizon.net MailPass SMTP server v1.0.6 - 103003062626JY ready
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 07:18:16 -0600
HELO apollo.laserfence.net
250 sc010.verizon.net
MAIL FROM:<will@???>
250 Sender <will@???> OK
QUIT
221 sc010.verizon.net closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

It works from this machine. I also decided to try it from mail.act.co.za, a
machine in Kroonstad, SA, which has reverse DNS resolving it as being inside
the .ZA domain. Again, both addresses were accepted:

%telnet relay.verizon.net 25
Trying 206.46.170.12...
Connected to relay.verizon.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 sc017.verizon.net MailPass SMTP server v1.0.6 - 103003062626JY ready
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 07:21:00 -0600
HELO mail.act.co.za
250 sc017.verizon.net
MAIL FROM:<will@???>
250 Sender <will@???> OK
QUIT
221 sc017.verizon.net closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.
%telnet relay.verizon.net 25
Trying 206.46.170.12...
Connected to relay.verizon.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 sc011.verizon.net MailPass SMTP server v1.0.6 - 103003062626JY ready
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 07:21:28 -0600
HELO mail.act.co.za
250 sc011.verizon.net
MAIL FROM:<will@???>
250 Sender <will@???> OK
QUIT
221 sc011.verizon.net closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

Try sending your mail again. It could be that this was a temporary problem
at verizon, for instance, a spam checking service not functioning. When I
perform the commands manually, there is a long time delay after sending the
MAIL FROM: command. It could be that this server is checking with spam
listing services before accepting a sender. If such a service was down, it
would cause this problem. Also, check to make sure you are not currently on
any popular spam blocklists, for any reason, these lists can sometimes list
you accidentally, or because of a problem you are unaware of.

Hope this helps.
Will