Re: [Exim] ANNOUNCE exim-4.24 rpms

Author: Vincent Danen
To: tanner
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] ANNOUNCE exim-4.24 rpms
--

On Oct 25, 2003, at 21:10, Bob Tanner wrote:

>>> I am a rpm-package maintainer for kde-redhat project
>>> http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/.
>
>> There are a number of rpms available, even semiofficial ones on
>> ftp.exim.org which are linked from exim's entry on freshmeat.net.
>> Google must be degrading fast if it does not pick them up. Hmm. At
>> least searching with a limitation to site:exim.org should have picked
>> them, as they were mentioned on _this_ list.
>
> What are your thoughts on merging .spec files and tring to get the
> package
> into Fedora?
>
> Vincent, I'm not sure if you'd be interested in Fedora, since it's a
> redhat
> thing, but I'd don't want exclude anyone.

To be honest, I know very little of Fedora. That is the community-run
RedHat thing, no? Ie. you guys do the work, RedHat gets the credit?
=) (I'm joking). There was a little bit of talk amongst the Mandrake
folks about Fedora, but I tuned out being too busy with other things so
I have no clue what Fedora is about.

> Are either if your .spec in cvs?

A private CVS here for my own srpms, yes.

> Fedora has some pretty strict stylistic guidelines, and I've had more
> packages
> rejected then I'd like to admit, but packages that make it through the
> Fedora-QA process are very good.

That is definitely a good thing.

> My other goal is to make sure packages continue to work for EOL'd
> version of
> Redhat so I can help out the Fedora-Legacy project as well.

I've done that kind of thing (well, doing the security updates for
Mandrake, one has little choice in that respect). I will tell you that
it can be a very serious PITA and you're almost better off branching.
For instance, if you have your exim spec in CVS, you'd do better to
create branches for each version rather than trying to do a lot of
conditional stuff to test for the version of RH you're building for.
Take this from first-hand experience... I recently had to clean up my
qmail and openssh specs to remove support for older Mandrake distribs
going as far back as 7.2. It was making things *far* too messy.

Otherwise, the goal is worthy, but I think doing a lot of conditionals
in a spec, especially for EOL'd products, is a waste of time and just
adds too much overhead/complication to a spec. If I had my original
qmail spec in CVS, I would have done exactly that. Right now, I just
make sure my specs run on supported versions of Mandrake and once
something is EOL, my support goes with it.

(Sorry it took me so long to get back to this... some bad mojo with
cheap LG CD-ROM devices has kept me stuck in kernel-land for a while).

---
MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
Online Security Resource Book; http://linsec.ca/
"lynx -source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"
{FE6F2AFD : 88D8 0D23 8D4B 3407 5BD7 66F9 2043 D0E5 FE6F 2AFD}

[ PGP.sig of type application/pgp-signature deleted ]