Re: [Exim] OT: Virtual domains implementation (general under…

Author: Avleen Vig
To: Michael Ludwig
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] OT: Virtual domains implementation (general understand issue)
On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 08:19:47PM +0100, Michael Ludwig wrote:
> A second reason why I am asking the question totally off-topic here is
> that I believe the vmailmgr list isn't much frequented and I hope
> someone on this list knows something on how to help me. ;-) (the
> courier-imap list isn't very congenial to me as well ;-) )

This is a shame.. fortunately there is another project which I happen to
know of, which should be more accomodating.. :-) (more later in this
mail)

> I have a big understanding problem how I can get the mails to a
> client. Running Courier-IMAP as IMAP and POP3 service, both standard
> and SSL'ed, the courier-daemons are looking (AFAIK) for
> standard-directories such as /home/$system-user/Maildir. But in a
> virtual domain environment it's normal not to have one system-user per
> domain. So how can I achieve this at all? Since three days now I'm
> googl'ing, alltheweb'ing and such stuff, always get the same bad
> results and have absolutely no fortune at all getting this stuff to
> work.

Yes Courier-Imap and others need to be told what the maildir location
is. This can be done in different ways, but usually depends on what
authentication module you're using with imapd.

http://silverwraith.com/vexim/

> I tried to compile vmailmgr because I think I personally like the
> concept of one system-user per domain, as I only have a couple of
> domains so far. But vmailmgr won't compile at all. In no version, not
> as source, not as src-rpm. In the rpm there is no tool like
> authvmailmgr which I think I have to implement in courier-imap. In
> the source I think I saw this module (authvmailmgr) but as the source
> absolutely does not compile on my station (SuSE 9.0 Pro on Pentium I
> 200, 64MB), I think vmailmgr is kicked out right now. :-(

Having used vmailmgr and vpopmail for several years, I can tell you that
they are both lacking in support from developers (in my opinion) and
lacking in configurability.
Take a look at vexim, if you don't mind running a mysql (or other)
database to store this data in.
The people on the mailing list are very helpful too.

> Now I gave vpopmail a closer look and found out, as far as I read and
> could understand, that for virtual user's there must be all data in a
> mysql database which I absolutely don't want to use for approximately
> 5 domains... This would be a little overdrive I think ;-)

I don't know. I use mysql for only 8 domains. It's not so bad, mysql is
very light weight.
Or you have a few other options:
  SQLite - doesn't run as a daemon but allows you access to database
           files fairly easily
  unixODBC - provides an interface to flat-file databases

As of the next release of vexim in about a week (hopefully less), you'll
be able to access any of these databases. If you don't want to run a
full RDBMS like mysql, SQLite might be for you. Read:
http://www.hwaci.com/sw/sqlite/

I think you might need to make a tradeoff. Of the few good virtual
domain management systems availible, all make use of some type of
database because it provides a high level of flexibility, and makes
writing the application much easier. As a result you (hopefully) get a
better product.

I wrote my own solution (vexim) :-)

> What did I get wrong at all?

Nothing at all! You're just looking for the solution that is right for
*you*. his might mean that you eventually write your own. This might
happen now, or in a few years. That's up to you.

> What have I got to use to make my wishes work?

Read above ;)

> Thanks so far for reading, in hope that someone can help me out of my
> situation, even if this is OT.

I don't think it's OT. I think virtual domain management is certainly
valid as more admins start to use Exim as the SMTP agent in their
systems.