Re: [Exim] Summary and RFD about maildir quotas

Author: Stefan Kaltenbrunner
To: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Summary and RFD about maildir quotas
Marc Haber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently involved in the design of a mail system that will have
> to impose quotas on the POP3 mailboxes. Users won't have shell access
> to the machine.

sounds very familiar :-)

[...]

> (1) file system quotas
> + "the right thing to do", most docs say
> + no special support in MTA and IMAP server needed
> - needs special coding to read quota size from database
> - needs one UID per Mailbox

Personally I don't like file system quotas that much for this kind of
systems.

> (2) classic Maildir
> - needs patched courier code to live without maildirsize file
> - has a performance hit which is generally considered insignificant

I would avoid that solution - it's neither nice from a courier-imap
point of view or from an exim(quota-calculation overhead) point of view
- and has no real advantages too.

> (3) Maildir++ via exim
> - not possible yet since exim does not fully support Maildir++
> (maildirsize file) currently. Philip, is that already wishlisted?
> + will probably perform well on the IMAP side

there are several patches out there which add maildirsize-support into
exim (some just take the relevant code from maildrop/courier-imap
itself, some other implement it quite rudimentaryand so on) - we use a
slightly modified version of one of these patches for our systems here.
Native maildirsize support in exim would be fantastic nevertheless :-)

> (4) Maildir++ via MDA
> - I hate the idea of having exim deliver through maildrop and/or
> maildirdeliver

we decided against this to (for the very same "reason" *g*) - but if you
don't want to patch either exim or courier-imap I would go for this one.

Stefan