[Exim] Summary and RFD about maildir quotas

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Summary and RFD about maildir quotas
Hi,

I am currently involved in the design of a mail system that will have
to impose quotas on the POP3 mailboxes. Users won't have shell access
to the machine.

We will use exim as MTA and courier-pop/imap to allow access to the
mailboxes. Because courier cannot do anything else (and it seems to me
as a pretty sensible decision anyway), spool format will be Maildir.

There is a number of methods to impose quotas on Maildirs, and I would
like to discuss these methods before taking decision. Maybe I have
overlooked something.

(1) file system quotas
+ "the right thing to do", most docs say
+ no special support in MTA and IMAP server needed
- needs special coding to read quota size from database
- needs one UID per Mailbox

(2) classic Maildir
- needs patched courier code to live without maildirsize file
- has a performance hit which is generally considered insignificant

(3) Maildir++ via exim
- not possible yet since exim does not fully support Maildir++
(maildirsize file) currently. Philip, is that already wishlisted?
+ will probably perform well on the IMAP side

(4) Maildir++ via MDA
- I hate the idea of having exim deliver through maildrop and/or
maildirdeliver

I know that all four methods are in use out there, but I currently
don't have an opinion which method is the best to use. May I ask for
your opinions?

Greetings
Marc