Re: [Exim] extra LF on end-of-message?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Pavel Gulchouck
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] extra LF on end-of-message?
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Pavel Gulchouck wrote:

> > With the default configuration, I would expect to see one empty line.
> > Check out the message_suffix option of the pipe transport.
>
> I have no message_suffix,

That explains it. The default setting is

message_suffix = "\n"

If you set

message_suffix =

the blank lines will vanish.

> deliveris for each message - antivirus check and procmail.
> And each pipe adds one LF at the end of message. I think
> it's not correct, pipe should give message without empty
> line added, and the extra LF should be added only on delivery
> to the mailbox (appendfile) because it's part of message
> delimiter.

The default for message_suffix for pipe is the same as the default for
appendfile, for consistency. I cannot now remember the reasons why this
was chosen, but it is too late to change the default now. However, as I
said above, you can change your configuration to remove the blank line
if you want.