Re: [Exim] extra LF on end-of-message?

Author: Pavel Gulchouck
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] extra LF on end-of-message?
On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 10:28:51AM +0100, Philip Hazel writes:
> > When I run "echo test | exim test" and deliver mail for user test
> > to pipe, I see two empty lines after line "test". Why? The same
> > command with sendmail shows no empty lines at the message end, and
> > I think it's right. And one LF should be added when local delivery
> > to the mailbox. This empty lines added by exim are collected on
> > every message forward by pipe-robot or manual resend.
>
> With the default configuration, I would expect to see one empty line.
> Check out the message_suffix option of the pipe transport.

I have no message_suffix, but you're right, I have two pipe
deliveris for each message - antivirus check and procmail.
And each pipe adds one LF at the end of message. I think
it's not correct, pipe should give message without empty
line added, and the extra LF should be added only on delivery
to the mailbox (appendfile) because it's part of message
delimiter.

And in the SMTP protocol end of message is "\r\n.\r\n" but
not simple ".\r\n". So, when remote send "text\r\n\r\n.\r\n"
it means _no_ empty lines at the end of message body, but exim
thinks it is.

--
                                Lucky carrier,
                                                  Pavel.