Re: [Exim] extra LF on end-of-message?

Author: Pavel Gulchouck
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] extra LF on end-of-message?
Hi!

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 09:23:56AM +0100, Philip Hazel writes:
> > > With the default configuration, I would expect to see one empty line.
> > > Check out the message_suffix option of the pipe transport.
> >
> > I have no message_suffix,
>
> That explains it. The default setting is
>
> message_suffix = "\n"
>
> If you set
>
> message_suffix =
>
> the blank lines will vanish.

Thanks, it works fine now! :-)
I've confused by spec.txt:

message_suffix                  Type: string*              Default: see below

    The string specified here is expanded and output at the end of every
    message. The default is unset unless "file" is specified and "use_bsmtp"
    is not set, in which case it is a single newline character.

IMHO it should be corrected for describe default for pipe transport.

> > deliveris for each message - antivirus check and procmail.
> > And each pipe adds one LF at the end of message. I think
> > it's not correct, pipe should give message without empty
> > line added, and the extra LF should be added only on delivery
> > to the mailbox (appendfile) because it's part of message
> > delimiter.
>
> The default for message_suffix for pipe is the same as the default for
> appendfile, for consistency. I cannot now remember the reasons why this
> was chosen, but it is too late to change the default now. However, as I
> said above, you can change your configuration to remove the blank line
> if you want.

Default is not significant if it's conforming to the documentation. ;-)

--
                                Lucky carrier,
                                                  Pavel.