Re: [Exim] Is exim in trouble?

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
New-Topics: [Exim] Exim on Red Hat Linux?
Subject: Re: [Exim] Is exim in trouble?
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:21:29 +0100 Russell wrote:

> > What the hell is that about? I want the patent on Christmas please.
> It isn't ludicrous. The US already has such laws, and it's going to be
> law on the 1st September. People (eg, Alan Cox) have put a fair amount
> of time into trying to fight this, but it wasn't enough. It's too late
> to stop it becoming law, though everyone in the EU needs to deal with
> it.

Apologies for dragging on this slightly OT thread, but as someone who
joined the 500+ strong protest in Brussels on Wednesday against software
patenting, and subsequently played some part in meeting with/lobbying MEPs
inside the European Parliament, I'd like to correct a few things here, in
case anyone is taking what you said as gospel:

a) The proposed European Directive hasn't been passed yet (it is just a
proposal, if fairly advanced one, at this stage), so it certainly isn't
"going to be law" on 1st September (the planned date for a vote on it).
Even if a Directive was passed then, there would be some more faffing
about, plus a fairly long period for each country to adjust their national
laws.

b) The issue is *FAR* from decided. Whilst certainly to this stage the
balance has been in favour of the pro-patent lobbyists (and the basic
proposal reflects that), the counter-view is finally, if belatedly,
getting some very serious attention. Speaking to a number of MEPs the
other day, it was clear that this issue has fairly suddenly hit their
"radar screens" in a major way - many of them have previously considered
it a technical/formal issue that they can leave to their legal
spokesmen/advisors. But all of a sudden, the huge volume of protest is
making them realise that there must be something afoot.

c) Not only that, but some very strong "amendments" (which MEPs can vote
on) to the Directive will be put in front of the Parliament when the issue
is voted on. Some will mirror closely the strong anti-software-patent
stance taken by ffii.org and others, and if MEPs can be convinced to vote
on them then we will actually achieve quiet a good situation in Europe
where software patents will be clearly outlawed.

d) There appears to be considerable uncertainty/splits even within
political groups in the European Parliament on this issue. Nothing is
certain.

e) Partly as a result of all the above, the vote has now been delayed
until later in September at the earliest.

The demo on Wednesday achieved significant "real world" press coverage
including a 2-minute slot on Belgian national TV, which is quite notable
for what could easily be considered an "obscure" issue by many. Other TV
and radio coverage was also reported. Reports, photographs and links to
online archives of TV and radio coverage can be found here:

http://wiki.ael.be/index.php/BigDemo27augEventReport

If anyone in the EU hasn't been in contact with their MEP, please do. It's
not too late, and you *can* make a real difference. Meetings, phone calls
or letters are most effective, but e-mails are better than nothing if you
don't have the time for those. If you're in the UK, you can find your
MEP's contact details at:

http://www.europarl.org.uk/uk_meps/MembersMain.htm

Tim