Re: [Exim] Is exim in trouble?

Author: Russell King
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Is exim in trouble?
On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 07:09:34AM +0100, Jez Hancock wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 08:21:02PM -0400, Wakko Warner wrote:
> > I saw this on the linux kernel list earlier today and felt I should post it
> > to exim list since it wasn't yet.
> >
> > http://swpat.ffii.org/
> >
> > Sounds like Europe is trying to make it easy to get software patents which
> > can hurt open source.
> >
> > apache.org has a blurb on their main site about this too.
> A friend pointed that link out to me yesterday as well. Sounded
> quite ludicrous to say the least - the idea of patenting ideas such as
> 'an online store that allows a third party to send gifts to people'.
> What the hell is that about? I want the patent on Christmas please.

It isn't ludicrous. The US already has such laws, and it's going to be
law on the 1st September. People (eg, Alan Cox) have put a fair amount
of time into trying to fight this, but it wasn't enough. It's too late
to stop it becoming law, though everyone in the EU needs to deal with it.

--
Russell King (rmk@???)                The developer of ARM Linux