Re: [OT] Re: [Exim] Is exim in trouble?

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: [Exim] Is exim in trouble?
On 8/31/2003 10:32, "Hr. Daniel Mikkelsen" <daniel@???> wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 10:04:09 -0400, Wakko Warner wrote:
>
>>> Lets say communigate patents (I doubt it
>>> would happen) the mail transport mechinism.
>
>> They can't. It "prior art."
>
> Of course they can. They just need to formulate it obscurely enough. Then the
> burden would shift to the litigation victims. It's not about who's right or
> wrong, it's about who has the most lawyer money.

I don't know about Europe, but in the US no one really knows what is
patentable until
a. the patent issues and the litigation reaches a decision that no higher
court will look at; or
b. the patent is rejected, the claimant sues the patent office, and that
litigation reaches a decision that no higher court will look at. (And if
this step results in the patent being issued, we're back at a again, and
another round of fees (oops, I mean litigation)).

Looking at precedents is of very little value, since one can find solid
looking cases on both sides of almost any patent issue.

--John