Re: [Exim] Blocking sobig.f

Author: Tony Finch
To: auj
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Blocking sobig.f
Alun <auj@???> wrote:

>We send back reports about viruses except in those cases where we know that
>the virus forges addresses.

Aargh. Because of the prevalence of unwanted email that is forged I
think this is a very bad policy. I've personally received thousands
of misdirected notifications this week because sobig likes my email
address :-(

>I'm a bit ambivalent about bounce messages for viruses and spam. It's a pain
>when you get misdirected ones, but at the same time I feel very iffy about
>just dropping messages on the floor with no attempt to inform the supposed
>sender.

What we do is inform the recipient, because they are the only person
that is definitely involved in dealing with the message. They are
much better able than software to tell if the message is legitimate
or not, and if the virus filter has removed an attachment then they
can sort it out with the sender. We try hard not to piss off innocent
third parties.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <dot@???> http://dotat.at/
FAIR ISLE FAEROES: SOUTHWESTERLY 4 OR 5 INCREASING 6 OR 7, PERHAPS GALE 8