Re: [Exim] Blocking sobig.f

Author: David Woodhouse
To: Alun
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Blocking sobig.f
On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 08:48, Alun wrote:
> I'm a bit ambivalent about bounce messages for viruses and spam. It's a pain
> when you get misdirected ones, but at the same time I feel very iffy about
> just dropping messages on the floor with no attempt to inform the supposed
> sender. If some important word document (for example) gets dropped silently
> because of a virus and research funding goes elsewhere as a result, guess
> who's door they'll bang on!

This is why you scan at SMTP receive time and refuse it -- don't accept
it and then get lumbered with the question of whether to generate a
bounce or not. If it was a genuine message the sending MTA will generate
a bounce; if it was from a virus or spammer they'll just move on.

And of course you revoke email access for _anyone_ intentionally sending
or receiving pretty screensavers, pif files and Word documents whether
they're infected or not, surely?

--
dwmw2