Re: [Exim] OT: setting up webmail server

Author: Xander D Harkness
To: Fernando Sanchez
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] OT: setting up webmail server
Fernando Sanchez wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> First I know this might be off topic but I don't know where else I could
> search for advice about it.
>
> I want to set up a server which only porpuse is to be a webmail server.
> There are a lot of webmail servers to use, the problem is that most of
> them use IMAP. I already have most of the clients running POP3 on their
> own clients. The main reason I don't want to use IMAP is that I don't
> want users mail to be kept on my mail server, I would preffer it to be
> moved to the webmail server once download (like pop3 does). I've also
> been thinking on set up a MySQL db to admin users. So my question is,
> has anybody ever set a system like this? which packets would u recomend
> for such distribution? Am I clear on how IMAP works, in the fact that
> mail is always stored on the server or could it be retrieved to be
> stored somewhere else?

Have a look at http://horde.org, it allows both imap and pop3.
Squirrelmail.org also has pop3 plugins.

If you run something like UWimap or dovecot you can set pop3 to listen
to all ports and imap to listen to 127.0.0.1 or just firewall port 143.
IMAP works well with webmail and it does not matter as long as the
clients are still able to download thier mail.

The other point to consider is that it does not matter whether you use
pop3 or imap on the server the webmail will not download the mail so it
does not matter which the use. If the imap port is not available
outside they will always have to communicate using pop3 with other
clients and imap is available with most mailservers by default.

Kind regards
Xander