Re: [Exim] Spam protection from an outside server..

Author: Richard Welty
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Spam protection from an outside server..
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 02:19:57 -0700 Kevin Reed <krelvinaz@???> wrote:
> My concern is with spam protection. My original thought was that this
> was
> using Spam Assassin a system wide protection system. However, as I look
> at
> it as I works, it appears that what I planned is not really going to
> happen.

i use carefully selected dnsbls.

cbl.abuseat.org
opm.blitzed.org
sbl.spamhaus.org
relays.ordb.org
relays.visi.com

each has a specific function, and you shouldn't turn these sorts of things
up without understanding their effect. cbl and opm block abused proxies,
which is where most of the spam is coming from these days. sbl blocks
spammers of fixed address, and the two relays lists focus on open relays.

i figure i'm getting a fair percentage of my inbound spam with this setup,
especially cbl which has been astonishingly effective since it became
available a couple of weeks ago.

you are always going to have to balance spam rejection vs false positives.
this is why i don't use bl.spamcop.net which many others like quite a lot.
likewise, spews can be very effective, but they are very agressive and
treat false positives caused by escalation as a valuble tool. many use
them, but corporate management can get very queasy at the attendant
potential for false positives; i know that some of my customer base have
made their concerns about FP rates very clear to me.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@???