Re: [Exim] Spam protection from an outside server..

Author: Tony Finch
To: krelvinaz
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Spam protection from an outside server..
"Kevin Reed" <krelvinaz@???> wrote:

>I didn't plan on any real spam or virus protecton at the mail hub level.

I strongly suggest that you do virus filtering on your internal mail hub,
to slow down viruses when they get into your network.

>Since 99% of the users will get their mail via Exchange servers, there won't
>be any way for them to particiate with the learning process that SA
>apparently needs to be effiecent.

You don't have to train it. The standard ruleset is OK; the Bayesian
statistical filtering is just an optional enhancement.

>What are others in this type of setup doing and what if any other type of
>product are you using.

We're using MailScanner to annotate email with a score, and the users
have a simple facility for setting their filtering threshold. However
that's because we can't impose a spam filtering policy. If you can you
probably should, perhaps at a conservative level while still allowing
users to set their own stricter filtering.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <dot@???> http://dotat.at/
MALIN HEBRIDES: WESTERLY VEERING NORTHWESTERLY 4 OR 5, OCCASIONALLY 6 AT