Re: [Exim] Spam protection from an outside server..

Author: Dennis Davis
To: Kevin Reed
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Spam protection from an outside server..
>From: Tom Kistner <tom@???>
>To: Kevin Reed <krelvinaz@???>,
>    "'exim-users@???'" <exim-users@???>
>Subject: Re: [Exim] Spam protection from an outside server..
>Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:44:06 +0200

>Kevin Reed wrote:
>

>> My idea of the system wide approach at least far as I've been
>> understanding is that SA is more built for user by user tuning
>> rather than as a whole system wide system at once. Could be that
>> I'm just missing something though...
>
>Not really. The bayesian part of SA learns from the "traditional"
>part, so it pretty much trains itself.

And you can switch this off if you wish. SpamAssassin works well
without it. I can speak from experience here; I've yet to switch on
the bayesian part of SpamAssassin on our frontline mail servers.

SpamAssassin will also use other "helper" programs if they are
provided. I'm currently using and would recommend the Distributed
Checksum Clearinghouse s/w:

http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/

>If you can impose a site-wide policy (for example, mark spam in
>headers and let users filter in Outlook), spamassassin is very nice
>to use, if you can provide the hardware needed for 8000-9000 users.

This is what I'm doing for about 18000 users. Our frontline mail
servers run exim + exiscan + SpamAssassin + Sophos virus detection
using the Sophie daemon. It works very well and at least I've been
able to filter off nearly all of my spam. And the complaints about
spam from the users has died down. Perhaps they are all on holiday :-)
But I think not. A recent query from one of our users included the
statement:

First I'd like to say how impressive your SpamAssasin deployment
has been. It correctly identifies 95% of the spam that comes my
way, and so far I've seen no false positives.