Re: [Exim] STARTTLS help...

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Jeff Boehlke
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] STARTTLS help...
On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 23:46, Jeff Boehlke wrote:
> If this is not possible, then that is what I need to know. I have a sight
> that is using a product called Communigate Server, they are trying to get
> that server to transfer mail between them and my site over SSL and it is not
> working. The company that makes the product states that they support SSL,
> but perhaps they do not correctly send EHLO, because it appears to send HELO
> and then try to use SSL.

Its really doing things this way round?  There are 2 possible options:-
     1. STARTTLS which is an ESMTP extension, so requires an initial
        EHLO before a STARTTLS command.
     2. ssmtp which would do all the transactions over an SSL/TLS
        channel, including the initial HELO/EHLO

If you want the latter than you must run another instance of exim on a
different port with the -tls-on-connect option.

This is covered in the FAQ -
        http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.20/doc/html/FAQ_17.html

Alternatively if Communigate really wants to do STARTTLS following a
HELO then it is *really* broken. Either than or you have a really
broken SMTP proxy in the way (Cisco PIX anyone). In either case an axe
is a suitable tool to provide a solution to this problem.

    Nigel.