Re: [Exim] STARTTLS help...

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jeff Boehlke
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] STARTTLS help...
On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Jeff Boehlke wrote:

> Perhaps I do not understand what the purpose of
>
> tls_advertise_hosts = *

Its purpose is to control which hosts STARTTLS is advertised to when
those hosts send EHLO. For whatever reason, you may not want to use TLS
for certain sets of hosts. Or you may want to use TLS only from certain
sets of hosts. However, whatever the setting of that option, Exim will
not recognize STARTTLS unless it is in "extended SMTP mode", because
STARTTLS is not defined for the original (RFC 821) SMTP.

> If this is not possible, then that is what I need to know. I have a sight
> that is using a product called Communigate Server, they are trying to get
> that server to transfer mail between them and my site over SSL and it is not
> working. The company that makes the product states that they support SSL,
> but perhaps they do not correctly send EHLO, because it appears to send HELO
> and then try to use SSL.

Their product is broken. Get them to read RFCs 1651 and 2487. STARTTLS
is part of "extended SMTP". To use extended SMTP, the client must send
EHLO, not HELO.

Philip