Re: [Exim] Problems after Upgrade from 3.13 to 4.20

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Problems after Upgrade from 3.13 to 4.20
Hi Jens, on Thu, 7 Aug 2003 13:16:12 +0200 you wrote:

> its a little bit complex to explain

I know, it's a bit hard to understand too :) Especially without really
understanding what mail is coming in from where. But I think I roughly get
it.

> Our Nameserver has the toplevel-Dom "RHG.DE" any Mail that is sent like
> username@??? is resolved by a virtualuser.db to the longname (like
> Frankfurt.rhg.de) of the internal Subdomains.

OK, I get that, so mail that is addressed to:

xyz@???

gets redirected to something like:

foobar@???

via your virtuser file.

> I think the old exim.conf of the exim 3.13 installation helps you to
> understand what this server should do:

OK, I've spent a while trying to unravel it in my mind and I can't see
anything *obvious*, but it's difficult trying to figure out in my head the
interactions between your routers/rewrite rules etc. Try using the
ever-useful Exim debugging and try:

exim -d -bt <email address>

and try variations on <email address> for rwz.de, *.rwz.de, rhg.de and
random other domains, and follow through Exim's process to determine where
the mail should be going, and it should become apparent fairly quickly
where the problem lies.

Tim