Re: [Exim] Problems after Upgrade from 3.13 to 4.20

Author: Jens Strohschnitter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Problems after Upgrade from 3.13 to 4.20
> OK, I get that, so mail that is addressed to:
>
> xyz@???
>
> gets redirected to something like:
>
> foobar@???
>
> via your virtuser file.
>

> OK, I've spent a while trying to unravel it in my mind and I can't see
> anything *obvious*, but it's difficult trying to figure out in my head the
> interactions between your routers/rewrite rules etc. Try using the
> ever-useful Exim debugging and try:
>
> exim -d -bt <email address>
>
> and try variations on <email address> for rwz.de, *.rwz.de, rhg.de and
> random other domains, and follow through Exim's process to determine where
> the mail should be going, and it should become apparent fairly quickly
> where the problem lies.

Hi,

now I have tried to change any parameter of the config, that
I think it could make Exim work. But nothing happens, when I
change something in the config. Also tests with exim -d -bt
MyAddress showes me where the problem is. :-(

So I would like to try to explain our installation of Exim
with a little bit more informations:

We have about 50 servers, running exim 3.13 with one central
server, that is connected to the internet.
If I want to send an email from, for example server20 to
server40, the mail should NOT be transported over the central
server.
to make this work, we use the virtualusertable, that
contains all users of the 50 servers with all subdomains.
For example the toplevel domain is MyDom.com, all other servers
domains called server1.MyDom.com, server2.MyDom.com and so on.
When a mail was send to an user like JohnDo@??? the server
looks at the virtualusertable-file and now knows that the
mail should be sent to (for example) JohnDo@???.
The virtualusertable-file looks like:

JohnDo@???    JohnDo@???

The problem that exim 4.x has with my config is, that the long
name of the mail-address (JohnDo@???) can not
be sent to the user, because the fullname is the same as the
servers local-name. (primary domainname = server20.mydom.com)
When I send the email from console of the server via the short
name: echo "Hello world" | mail johndo@???
exim delivers the mail without any problem, only mails from
other servers and internet or the full-name from concole
(echo "hello world" | mail johndo@???) can not
be delivered.

I have tested version 3.35 that works without any problems,
only from 4x no message can be delivered to any user.

Hope this will help you to understand what our installation
of exim 4.20 should do and hope you can help me to make it
work :-)

Thanxxx

--
Regards,