Re: [Exim] New multi-user exim4 config

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Andrew - Supernews
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] New multi-user exim4 config
On 4 Aug 2003, Andrew - Supernews wrote:

> # We probably don't really care about ident anymore nowadays...
> rfc1413_hosts = !*

I probably should write a form letter about this. I seem to have to
explain it so often. At my site we run a number of multi-user (where
multi=several thousand) systems. If a user on one of our systems abuses
one of your systems, and you have not logged the ident information that
our system could give you, we are not going to be best pleased when we
are asked to track down the culprit.

Obviously, ident is of no use on single-user systems. But people seem to
forget that there are such things as multi-user systems where the users
are not very trusted.