Re: [Exim] Yahoo! Groups?!?

Author: Leonardo Boselli
To: exim-users, Troy Settle
Subject: Re: [Exim] Yahoo! Groups?!?
Il 23 Jul 2003 alle 0:24, Troy Settle immise in rete:
> All,
> I'm in the process of troubleshooting a customer having a problem
> sending/receiving mail from some yahoo group thing. Apparently, these
> are mailing lists?
> If they are, is there a reason that Yahoo is sending the messages with
> an Envelope sender of the original poster and not something like
> 'owner-some-group@???' ?

There is a Mailing-List: header and an X-Apparently-to
that point to the list.
This arrangement help in avoiding another bad habit: the one to sond
vacation messages to the list. This way if the message is autoanswered
the reply go to the poster (that now theorethically know that his
message has not read by all list subscriber)and not to the list.

> Looking through my mail logs, I see owner-this, owner-that, and
> owner-something else. Dozens (hundreds?) of list servers. But I
> can't seem to find any envelope senders that are clearly from the
> Yahoo group thingies.

This can vary if the list moderated or not, but there is an
X-eGroups-return header at the very beginning otf the headers, that
conains a code to trace the message and the adressee. It is the one
that is use by yahoo to log bounces.

> Where this is a problem, is that apparently, Yahoo! Doesn't do any
> sort of sender verification. So, someone spams the group with an
> unrouteable address, my Exim server rejects it, then Yahoo! Suspends
> the user's activities because it's bouncing mail.

It is correct, IMHO, if the group is open to all, an someone subscribe to
it, it mus accept or just trow away any post, if the group is se to
subscribers-only this should not occour.
> Now my customer thinks I'm on crack because I can't find any reason
> for bounces (customer receives 80-110 messages per day on a very
> regular basis).
> Any suggestions?

just flag the messages that you would bounce, so everyone would
decide what to do. At worst set a procmail rule to drop them in a
secondary mailbox.
On at the very worst option, accept [from yahoo] then sent to the from
address a message saying you are not accepring [ok ... i know the
message is unroutable ... but theorethically this should be the way !]
--
Leonardo Boselli
Nucleo Informatico e Telematico del Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile