Re: [Exim] : fail: messages not working

Author: Ken Olum
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] : fail: messages not working
From: Kirill Miazine <km-lists@???>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 08:35:40 +0200

Ken Olum wrote:
> Should a message included with :fail: in an alias file be returned to
> an SMTP client? All I get is "550 unknown user".

Depends a bit on your ACL settings. My guess is that you have an ACL
condition that looks like this:

       accept domains = +local_domains
          endpass
          message = unknown user
          verify = recipient

If you remove the "message" modifier, you will get the text after
":fail:" instead for aliases that should :fail:.

Yes, that's it. Thanks. I think I just got the code above from the
default configuration. Unfortunately, if I remove the message, then
when the user is really unknown, it gives "Unrouteable address", which
I think is confusing. I guess I can cure it by

          message       = ${if eq{$acl_verify_message}{Unrouteable address} {unknown user} {$acl_verify_message}}

I think it would be nice if the default message were "Unknown user" in
this context, so that the default configuration could not have the
"message" line. Failing that it would at least be nice if the
documentation for the redirect router would explain that you should
change your ACL setting if you want the message to take effect.

            Ken