Re: [Exim] : fail: messages not working

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Ken Olum
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] : fail: messages not working
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Ken Olum wrote:

> I think it would be nice if the default message were "Unknown user" in
> this context, so that the default configuration could not have the
> "message" line. Failing that it would at least be nice if the
> documentation for the redirect router would explain that you should
> change your ACL setting if you want the message to take effect.

"Unrouteable address" is the default message that is screwed into the
Exim code. It does not make sense to change it to "Unknown user" because
Exim doesn't know that that is what the problem actually is. All it
knows is that it couldn't route the address. It doesn't try to figure
out exactly what your router configuration tried to do before it failed.

There are configurations that do no local deliveries at all (e.g. relay
systems). "Unknown user" on such a configuration would be most
misleading.

I'm afraid this is one of those cases where the sysadmin has to make a
choice, either in the ACL or by using the cannot_route_message option
on a router.