Re: [Exim] SPAM control

Author: Torsten Luettgert
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SPAM control
On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 07:48, Alexander Prohorenko via COM.BOX TEMA
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to install some resource-friendly SPAM control software for
> Exim, like SpamAssassin is. Unfortunetly, my mail server is
> running pretty old hardware, so SpamAssassin easily kills it with a
> load.

Is it possible that your problem is memory, not load? I had just that
problem here, the machine going out of memory if many mails arrive
in a short time.
It was easily fixed by setting

    queue_only_load=3.0
    deliver_queue_load_max=5.0
(the latter one's called deliver_load_max in exim 3.x)

Just yesterday I sent some 15,000 short mails into the machine in a few
minutes, and it didn't so much as flinch - it just queued them like it
was supposed to. Delivery took a while, though.

Unrelated note:
There are some other possibilities of blocking spam.
You can look into smtp_max_unknown_commands and smtp_accept_max_nonmail
for thwarting spam which comes in through proxy abuse, and
a very good thing to do is sender callout (use something like

  require  verify        = sender/callout/callout_defer_ok

in your acl_smtp_rcpt). You may need to exempt certain senders from that
rule, though, since there are many buggy MUAs around which don't allow
bounces.

Hope that helps,
Torsten <t.luettgert@???>