[Exim] Re: [OT] Best way to post to the list- was Config Hel…

Author: Patrick Starrenburg
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: [OT] Best way to post to the list- was Config Help.... Please !!
Reply to email sent to me by MBM off list...

Well no actually you're wrong Matthew and your answer shows you didn't
think before writing your reply. There's nothing wrong with my "threading
algorithm" (and it's not mine anyway) the problem is that there are
people sending (which is their right) posts to the list via email and
people looking at and replying to messages via the exim <-> gmane
newsgroup gateway - which is *their* right. You have heard of newsgroups
and news servers I take it? When I reply to a post on a newsgroup using a
news reader client then the client uses an ID to track the thread. A MUA
doesn't. And if people post replies from a MUA changing the title too
much the news server has trouble with it.

>> YOu need to be careful when replying to "threads" in an email client.
>> I personally don't follow or post to the mailing list via a mail
>>client. It's almost impossible to follow discussions.

> If you choose to use your own interface which doesn't do things
> properly, that's your problem, and your problem only. Exim is a
> high-volume list, and posts like yours really don't help my own
> ability to read it. They count as noise. If you have a problem with
> your threading, then fix it!
>
> MBM

Jeez - relax man, go and have a beer. You sound like the people on the
qmail list - brrrr... there's a horrible thought.

I was trying to help someone (who looked to be new to Exim) get the best
out of good software and a good list. If you have a problem with that
then it is just that - your problem. Lighten up.

PS