Re: [Exim] Re: [OT] Best way to post to the list- was Config…

Author: Walt Reed
To: patrick-d-1057339489.057d30
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: [OT] Best way to post to the list- was Config Help.... Please !!
patrick-kw-gmane.df98dcn d, Patrick Starrenburg said:
> newsgroup gateway - which is *their* right. You have heard of newsgroups
> and news servers I take it? When I reply to a post on a newsgroup using a
> news reader client then the client uses an ID to track the thread. A MUA
> doesn't. And if people post replies from a MUA changing the title too
> much the news server has trouble with it.

Um, both news readers and MUA's use the Message-ID and References
header lines in threading code. The subject is not used except by broken
clients. Proper clients don't care what the subject line is and preserve
threading based on "References". Some really broken clients don't
preserve "References" during replies. If you are using a client that
does not preserve or honor "References", please upgrade to something
better.