Re: [Exim] php & exim for newsletter bulk mail

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: James Fassett
To: exim-users
CC: Tim Jackson
Betreff: Re: [Exim] php & exim for newsletter bulk mail
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Jackson" <lists@???>

> On Wed, 4 Jun 2003 16:38:03 -0700 James wrote:
>
> > I am attempting to create an opt-in newsletter mailer that can handle
> > between 8,000 and 10,000 email addresses. This mailer should be
> > triggered from php web based page and should create personalized emails.
>
> Create all the mails in PHP but instead of calling mail() or doing it via
> SMTP, create one big BSMTP file. Then feed that to Exim. Very quick and
> fast, though you'll have to make sure the syntactical quality of your
> e-mail addresses is good (why not verify them at point of acquisition
> using Exim's -bt mode?) because any errors will cause your BSMTP batch to
> fail part-way through. I've got a tiny function somewhere which passes an
> email address to Exim to verify, parses the result and returns valid or
> invalid - email me off-list if you want it.

I like this solution (it is in fact what I was hoping for), however the
'point of origin' thing is sticky.

There are 2 peices to the system
    1) mass mailer
    2) news letter

I can verify addresses for the news letter, but not for the mass mailer.

Any chance a regular expression would do the job, or do you mean I need to
verify the validity beyond string verification?

> In fact, I have also written a simple PHP class which will make building a
> BSMTP file even easier than it already is. It's part of my database system
> PHPOF which you can download at http://www.phpof.org/ (apologies for the
> bad site) - look at bsmtp.class.php.

thanks for the link to the file -
any good resources on building bsmtp files?
I couldn't find any myself.

Although I like the idea, I am concerned about the 'failing part-way
through' clause. Checking 10,000 addresses by evoking exim from flash on
each is as slow as passing each email to exim one at a time.

Thanks for the experience.

James.