Re: [Exim] Re: how to use smtp with exim

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: how to use smtp with exim
On Wed, 21 May 2003 09:27:21 -0400, Wakko Warner <wakko@???>
wrote:
>> Upgrading libc6 on Debian stable is about as stupid as one can be.
>> That way, you'll get the bugs in unstable, and the staleness of
>> stable.
>
>By that sounds like you're saying upgradeing from stable to new stable is
>about as stupid as one can be as well. There's no problems upgrading libc6
>as long as you restart the services that are effected. I've done this on
>test machines to see how it works and I'll now do this on production
>machines and have successfully w/o problems.

You won't get any security updates for your libc6 in the future
though. If you decide that's ok for you, fine. But please don't
recommend that to newbies that are not able to make that decision
while thinking about the possible consequences..

>The stable is always stale if you've worked with debian much. It's stale by
>the time it comes out. I noticed recently that sid now has 4.20 so it's no
>longer 'experiemental'.

Please don't try to teach me about Debian.

>> Please learn about the distribution you're using before giving out
>> stupid and misleading advice.
>
>I see nothing misleading about this. If I'd had problems doing this I
>wouldn't have even suggested it.

The nasty thing with security problems is that you don't see them
until they have bitten you badly.

> Would you have rather suggested they go
>download everything they need and recompile? This is simply easier to do
>and isn't problem causing.

I would have recommended to build the unstable exim4 packages on
woody, or to use the woody packages that Andreas builds from the
unstable sources.

Again, I _do_ consider it a problem to upgrade to an unsupported
development version of a very very important library.

Greetings
Marc