Re: [Exim] Re: how to use smtp with exim

Author: Wakko Warner
To: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: how to use smtp with exim
> >Expecially since the exim4 that actually is in debian is labeled
> >'experimental'. I've been running it for months w/o problems. just upgrade
> >libc6 and install exim4 packages.
>
> Upgrading libc6 on Debian stable is about as stupid as one can be.
> That way, you'll get the bugs in unstable, and the staleness of
> stable.

By that sounds like you're saying upgradeing from stable to new stable is
about as stupid as one can be as well. There's no problems upgrading libc6
as long as you restart the services that are effected. I've done this on
test machines to see how it works and I'll now do this on production
machines and have successfully w/o problems.

The stable is always stale if you've worked with debian much. It's stale by
the time it comes out. I noticed recently that sid now has 4.20 so it's no
longer 'experiemental'.

> Please learn about the distribution you're using before giving out
> stupid and misleading advice.

I see nothing misleading about this. If I'd had problems doing this I
wouldn't have even suggested it. Would you have rather suggested they go
download everything they need and recompile? This is simply easier to do
and isn't problem causing.