Re: [Exim] TARPIT ACL - for Spam Control

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Thomas Tonino
CC: Marc Perkel, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] TARPIT ACL - for Spam Control
On Sun, 11 May 2003, Thomas Tonino wrote:

> >> BTW while setting up tarpitting I've noticed that using message = in a
> >> deny statement does not give anything back in the SMTP session.
>
> Oops... I meant to say 'message in an accept statement'. Any way to tell the
> connected host some information while I am tarpitting it while accepting the
> mail? Message = in a deny works fine.

The only place a message in an "accept" response is going to end up is
the sending host's log, *if* it cares to log such text (Exim does). What
Exim actually sends is the message id of the accepted message, so that
it can be logged in case of a later query. Nothing gets back to the
sending user, of course. That's why "message" does nothing on an
"accept" statement. (It is documented that it only has an effect if
access is denied.)