Re: [Exim] TARPIT ACL - for Spam Control

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: Tony Earnshaw, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] TARPIT ACL - for Spam Control
At 18:05 +0200 2003/05/12, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
>man, 12.05.2003 kl. 13.32 skrev Giuliano Gavazzi:
>
>> >I'd like to use this to warn a sender why they see a slow response:
>> >they are on
>> >a DUL list.
>>
>> the sender is not a human (at this level). If you accept it means
>> that the message will be delivered. So it cannot generate a temporary
>> or permanent failure, the only way to have an error message generated
>> and sent back to the sender. And note that under temporary error
>> conditions the error message is only generated after the delivery
>> attempt has failed for a certain amount of time.
>
>Then why would a seasoned mailadmin like Marc Merlin both have built
>just this facility into SA-Exim and take great pleasure in exploiting
>it? (http://marc.merlins.org/linux/exim/sa.html) His version tarpits and
>taunts with an exhortation per line of data.

My fault, I should have made a distinction between message (as
message returned to the peer server as a line of text prepended by
some code) and message (as email message, in this case generated by
the peer server as a result of a temporary/permanent error code being
received).

>I use SA-Exim with huge profit, but don't use this method personally,
>since I agree with you that there is a machine on the other end.
>However, the MTA submitting the spam would definitely have this in its
>logs - if the spammer is bright enough to know about logs.

logs? Do you say that spammers keep logs?

>Personally, I don't give an eff about tarpitting or spam, as long as I
>never receive the latter, which is what I use SA-Exim and SpamAssassin
>for.

and I'd rather not even have my logs littered by what amounts to
(roughly) 95% of spam, as spam tends to generate more log lines...

another day, another spam defeated

H U M P H
    || |||
  software

Java & C++ Server/Client/Human Interface applications on MacOS - MacOS X
http://www.humph.com/