Re: [Exim] mime (rfc-2047) decode patch

Author: Norihisa Washitake
To: Michael Haardt
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] mime (rfc-2047) decode patch
Hi Michael,

On 2003/05/07 3:20:40, Michael Haardt wrote:
> sieve.c also contains rfc2047 decoding functions, so we may be able to
> merge some things.

Yes, I wish I knew that before. I will scour it.
(but, wait, where is it?)

> It decodes everything to UTF-8 and my implementation is able to deal with
> =00,

Sounds good.
I did not think of =00 (but it does not result in buffer overflow).

> but I doubt that automatic conversion to UTF-8 would be a good idea
> in the Exim filter, unless it took UTF-8 filter scripts.

As Philip mentioned, ordinary users do not (or do not want to)
understand character sets or encodings. As Sieve wants all headers to
be UTF-8 (described in Sieve spec, 2.7.2), we'd better convert all
headers to UTF-8 unless some build options are specified.

It is sure that many Japanese users prefer EUC-JP to UTF-8, so there
is room to disscuss on a build-time option or a new run-time option
'filter-encoding'.

> > You can make exim use 'iconv' in character set conversions
> > by editing the end of Local/Makefile after applying the patch.
>
> I already introduced HAVE_ICONV in the OS header files for Linux, Solaris
> and HP-UX for Sieve support, so you can rely on using that.

Uh-huh, iconv are sometimes buggy, however, in some implementations.
Some iconv uses "UTF8" not "UTF-8", "EUCjp" not "EUC-JP". I think we
should leave a choice in the build time configuration to users.

Regards,
--
Norihisa WASHITAKE
Dept of Earth Sciences, Sci, The University of Tokyo