[Exim] message_size_limit

Author: Nico van der Dussen
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] message_size_limit
Hi,

thanks to Philip who posted some code yesterday, my eyes opened for
new possibilities which more than often don't work :-)

I'm running Exim 4.14

I would like to set the message_size_limit in the main part of my config
file (before the ACL's) to do a lookup based on the sender address.

I've tried the following:

message_size_limit =
${lookup{$sender_address}lsearch*{/path/to/file}}

and in the file

# Max size allowed by sender

me@???:10k
*:2M

just for testing.

The address in the file is legal.

Then I sent myself a test message that should have been denied. The
logs
indicate that the from was indeed correct, but the message was not
denied.

What did I miss?

The reason for this is approach is 2-fold: I'm getting real large valid
mails from clients that need to be accepted (larger than I wish to have
the default value) and I'm getting real large nuisance mail as well from
others I don't want to block totally, but I want to reject their mail
before travelling to my server. Blocks on servers won't work as much
of
the unwanted mail is generated by dial-up ISP clients.

Thanks

Nico

N van der Dussen
VDDi