Re: [Exim] message_size_limit

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Nico van der Dussen
CC: exim-users
New-Topics: [Exim] Manual ( was message_size_limit)
Subject: Re: [Exim] message_size_limit
On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Nico van der Dussen wrote:

> message_size_limit =
> ${lookup{$sender_address}lsearch*{/path/to/file}}

Unfortunately, the manual is incorrect about when the expansion happens.
In fact, it happens at the start of the connection, not for every
message. The limit can therefore depend on the client host, but not on
the sender.

I should either mend the manual or the code. Problem noted. Of course,
even expanding for every message might happen before the sender is
known, but it probably should be after.

> The reason for this is approach is 2-fold: I'm getting real large valid
> mails from clients that need to be accepted (larger than I wish to have
> the default value) and I'm getting real large nuisance mail as well from
> others I don't want to block totally, but I want to reject their mail
> before travelling to my server. Blocks on servers won't work as much
> of
> the unwanted mail is generated by dial-up ISP clients.

Your only choice at the moment is to put a test of the $message_size
variable into the DATA ACL.