Re: [Exim] message_size_limit

Author: Nico van der Dussen
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] message_size_limit
Hi,

Philip wrote as follows:

<snip>

> Your only choice at the moment is to put a test of the $message_size
> variable into the DATA ACL.

</snip>

I don't know much about the SMTP protocol, but I'm trying to learn,
and indeed, I'm learning fast.

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly:

acl_smtp_data kicks into action before the bulk of the message has
been transferred. Somewhere at the start of this "data" part of the
"SMTP conversation", the sending machine must tell the receiving
server how much data it wants to send, and then the receiver can
accept or deny.

It makes sense to me to deny too large messages before the data is
actually transfered, but that does not mean it makes sense to the
protocol :-)

Am I right in this?

Thanks

Nico