[Exim] Received line query

Author: Phil Chambers
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Received line query
This isn't very important, but has me baffled! I am using exim-4.14 with the
default setting for received_header_text and I can't understand how it is generating
the Received header text I actually see in messages.

(I have checked the default value for received_header_text in the 4.14 code and it
corresponds to that shown in the 4.10 spec.)

First I see lines such as:

        by hermes.ex.ac.uk with ...

(My system being hermes.ex.ac.uk of course.) How does the "[166.70.73.150] " get in
there before the "helo=" because the relevant bit of the default seems to be just
"(helo=$sender_helo_name)\n\t"?

Second, I see lines such as:

        by hermes.ex.ac.uk with ...

In this case the default does not contain anything to do with "ident=" in it at all!

I can see nothing in the spec for $sender_helo_name or $sender_ident to explain
this, so any pointers would be of interest.

Phil.
Phil Chambers (postmaster@???)
University of Exeter