Re: [Exim] Received line query

Author: William Thompson
To: Phil Chambers
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Received line query
> This isn't very important, but has me baffled! I am using exim-4.14 with the
> default setting for received_header_text and I can't understand how it is generating
> the Received header text I actually see in messages.
>
> (I have checked the default value for received_header_text in the 4.14 code and it
> corresponds to that shown in the 4.10 spec.)
>
> First I see lines such as:

>         by hermes.ex.ac.uk with ...

> (My system being hermes.ex.ac.uk of course.) How does the "[166.70.73.150] " get in
> there before the "helo=" because the relevant bit of the default seems to be just
> "(helo=$sender_helo_name)\n\t"?
>
> Second, I see lines such as:

>         by hermes.ex.ac.uk with ...

> In this case the default does not contain anything to do with "ident=" in it at all!
>
> I can see nothing in the spec for $sender_helo_name or $sender_ident to explain
> this, so any pointers would be of interest.

looks like ${sender_rcvhost} to me.

In the manual:
$sender_rcvhost: This is provided specifically for use in Received: headers.
It starts with either the verified host name (as obtained from a reverse DNS
lookup) or, if there is no verified host name, the IP address in square
brackets. After that there may be text in parentheses. When the first item
is a verified host name, the first thing in the parentheses is the IP
address in square brackets, followed by a colon and a port number if port
logging is enabled. When the first item is an IP address, the port is
recorded as 'port=xxxx' inside the parentheses.

There may also be items of the form 'helo=xxxx' if HELO or EHLO was used and
its argument was not identical to the real host name or IP address, and
'ident=xxxx' if an RFC 1413 ident string is available. If all three items
are present in the parentheses, a newline and tab are inserted into the
string, to improve the formatting of the Received: header.