Re: [Exim] conditionally rejecting <> sender

Author: Tony Earnshaw
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] conditionally rejecting <> sender
ons, 09.04.2003 kl. 16.43 skrev John Jetmore:

> I saw this in a rcpt acl posted in another email:
>
>   deny  message   = Only one receipient accepted for NULL sender
>         senders   = :
>         condition     = ${if >{$rcpt_count}{1} {1}}

> Since there are a lot of people on the list with some very strong feelings
> about how email should behave, I was wondering what people thought of
> this. It would certainly start preventing spam around here, just not sure
> if there's a case I'm missing where that's valid...

I had that wording (Exim 4.14) for the message, but it's patently wrong
- so I changed it, thanks :)

1: There's no reason why a client (server or MUA) should get realm wrong
at the first rcpt to, and then have to back out and trying something -
anything - else. If there is, then somebody tell me - I can't see it.

2: You can raise the count to whatever you like.

3: Steven D. seems to have found that it's not in contravention of any
valid rfc.

4: The amount of spam to my personal realm is increasing exponentially.
Dictionary attacks on my MTA would be one way of increasing it even
further.

5: Sendmail admins (Qmail and Postfix admins are as a rule very much
non-savvy) on other lists seem in increasing numbers to wish that they
had even a few of the anti-spam facilities that Exim 4 has. That speaks
volumes in itself.

I'd use it, even for a sales department-vulnerable site. I can't see any
reason not to.

Best,

Tony

--