RE: [Exim] conditionally rejecting <> sender

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Dickenson, Steven
CC: 'John Jetmore', 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: RE: [Exim] conditionally rejecting <> sender
On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Dickenson, Steven wrote:

> AFAIK, this is okay. You only start breaking things we when reject ALL NULL
> senders. I believe one recipient per NULL sender is following the RFC's.

There are cases that will break:

1. If you use an Exim filter, you can use commands like

mail to "a@b, x@y"

to create messages with multiple recipients, but NULL senders.

2. More obscure, probably unlikely:

. You send out mail with envelope sender as postmaster@???.
. The delivery fails somewhere down the line, causing a bounce to come back.
. You have "postmaster" aliased to more than one address.
. Both addresses get forwarded to some other host that is enforcing this
check...