[Exim] opinion on unconditional accept for postmaster

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] opinion on unconditional accept for postmaster
Dear all,

This is a question that in a way trascends exim.
I believe in some RFCs it is stated that a postmaster address must exist at a domain. The common exim configuration has indeed a postmaster alias and the following line early in the rcpt acl:

  accept  local_parts   = postmaster
          domains       = +local_domains

The comment in the specs says:

    The presence of this statement means that mail to postmaster is never
    blocked by any of the subsequent tests. This can be helpful while
    sorting out problems in cases where the subsequent tests are incorrectly
    denying access.

Does this comment imply that it is not compulsory to accept every email addressed to postmaster, in particular when it smells like spam like the following:

    by drum.humph.com with smtp (Exim 4.10)
    id H6OWBY-000F7T-00

Now that I use exim, even without rbl I have virtually stopped all spam, except that some clever guys still get through using the postmaster address.

Opinions?

Thanks

Giuliano
--
H U M P H
|| |||

Java & C++ Server/Client/Human Interface applications on MacOS - MacOS X
http://www.humph.com/