Re: [Exim] Offtopic Q: access to exim through firewall...

Author: Ruth Ivimey-Cook
To: Suresh Ramasubramanian, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Offtopic Q: access to exim through firewall...
At 15:33 20/11/2002, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
>Courier IMAP would be my choice, but cyrus is not bad at all.

Cyrus has some severe problems, but mostly in the docs dept :-/
Functionality, reliability and speed haven't been an issue, thankfully.

>Allow POP3 / IMAP as well - and use TLS for both (generate a
>certificate - self signed certs will do very well indeed).

Yes, wondered about that. Is there a 'how to set up TLS' doc somewhere?

>Enable SMTP AUTH - again over TLS.
>
> >    Windows XP Home using Eudora 5 over dialup.

>Eudora does TLS quite well - but the issue is that the CN name of your
>certificate has to exactly match the name of your smtp server. That,

CN == cannonical name (in DNS)? I have 3 possible names for the IP I use,
will that be a problem (they all have reverse-lookups).

> > Any thoughts on how to enable access?
>
>Webmail, if you are paranoid?

I've set up squirrelmail, which is ok, but is a bit slow. Also, don't think
my parents would use it.

Thanks anyway,

Ruth