Re: [Exim] Offtopic Q: access to exim through firewall...

Author: Suresh Ramasubramanian
To: exim-users, Ruth Ivimey-Cook
Subject: Re: [Exim] Offtopic Q: access to exim through firewall...
On Wednesday, November 20, 2002 8:47 PM [GMT+0530=IST],
Ruth Ivimey-Cook <Ruth.Ivimey-Cook@???> wrote:

> I would like to enable my parents to use my mail server as their 'pop
> box', rather than go via their isp. I know the usual answer is to set
> up a pop3 server and go, but I'm worried about security and firewalls.

Courier IMAP would be my choice, but cyrus is not bad at all.

>    Exim v4, Cyrus imapd v2, a static-ip over ADSL, a Linux 2.4
> firewall. The firewall currently allows SMTP, HTTP & SSH access and
> not much else.

Allow POP3 / IMAP as well - and use TLS for both (generate a
certificate - self signed certs will do very well indeed).

Enable SMTP AUTH - again over TLS.

>    Windows XP Home using Eudora 5 over dialup.

Eudora does TLS quite well - but the issue is that the CN name of your
certificate has to exactly match the name of your smtp server. That,
and you have to install the server's cert and add it to your local trust
db in Eudora.

> Any thoughts on how to enable access?

Webmail, if you are paranoid?

    suresh