[Exim] =?ISO-8859 ... An untasted address format for me.

Author: Oliver Egginger
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] =?ISO-8859 ... An untasted address format for me.
Hello,

I have some problems with a (strange) address format.
Maybe here are some people which know the sense and purpose of this
format.

We use Exim 4.10.

From time to time some mail clients send emails with recipient addresses
like this:
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?u1020=3F=40monet=2Efh=2Dfriedberg=2Ede?=@mailserv.fh-giessen.de

I think that it has something to do with a replacement of german
"Umlaute" ("Umlaute" are special german charakters).
In any case this addresses are the result of typos, cause we don't
provide german "Umlaute" in mail addresses.

So the best way would be to reject this addresses with a 5xx smtp error.
Surprisingly Exim accept this addresses, thus I suppose that
these addresses are syntactically correct.
Unfortunately these addresses produce a parsing error during the ldap
lookup (we use a LDAP-Server for address lookups).
Here is the corresponding output from the message log:

{ldap://mailserv.fh-giessen.de/ou=Groups,o=FH%20Giessen,c=DE?fhgi-member?sub?(mail=$local_part@$domain)}}": lookup of "ldap://mailserv.fh-giessen.de/ou=Groups,o=FH%20Giessen,c=DE?fhgi-member?sub?(mail==?iso-8859-1?q?u1020=3f=40monet=2efh=2dfriedberg=2ede?=@mailserv.fh-giessen.de)" gave DEFER: ldap_url_parse: (error 5) parsing

This means that the message can't leave the queue and I have to
finish it manually.
(Fortunately it don't happens frequently.)

Now I have three questions:

1. How can I simply reject this messages?
2. Is it at all a good idea to reject them?
3. In which case I have to provide this (strange) format?

Every hint is very welcome.

regards
oliver

--