[Exim] Delivery failed, but I wasn't told?

Author: Brian Kendig
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Delivery failed, but I wasn't told?
I was poking around in my Exim 4.10 server's '/usr/spool/exim/input'
directory, and I found some outgoing mail which apparently had never
been delivered!

The mainlog listed the relevant failure messages: one was a 'connection
refused' from the destination host, and the other was a 'host lookup
did not complete' which means the destination's MX records are messed
up. These errors make sense... but why wasn't I told about them? Why
didn't exim deliver a bounce message or some other sort of error
notification to me?

In the future, will I have to check the 'input' directory periodically
by hand for undelivered messages, or is there a better way to handle
them?

  ____    |\/|                 Brian Kendig   Set your priorities right.
  \  /\   / ..__.    brian at enchanter net   No one ever said on his
   \/  \__\   _/   http://www.enchanter.net/  death bed, "Gee, if I'd
    \__   __  \_      Be insatiably curious.  only spent more time at
       \____\___\           Ask "why" a lot.  the office."