Re: [Exim] Delivery failed, but I wasn't told?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Brian Kendig
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Delivery failed, but I wasn't told?
On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Brian Kendig wrote:

> I was poking around in my Exim 4.10 server's '/usr/spool/exim/input'
> directory, and I found some outgoing mail which apparently had never
> been delivered!

> The mainlog listed the relevant failure messages: one was a 'connection
> refused' from the destination host, and the other was a 'host lookup
> did not complete' which means the destination's MX records are messed
> up. These errors make sense... but why wasn't I told about them?

You were told. The information is in the log. Surely you don't mean you
expected a message to postmaster? "Connection refused" is common - hosts
get rebooted or taken down for maintenance all the time. Likewise the
other error - nameservers can be inaccessible from time to time.

> Why
> didn't exim deliver a bounce message or some other sort of error
> notification to me?

Because it is going to keep on trying for a bit. A bounce message will
be generated if the errors keep happening for too long.

Read the documentation about error handling and retrying (chapter 31 in
the Exim 4.10 manual).