Re: [Exim] =?ISO-8859 ... An untasted address format for me.

Author: Michelle Konzack
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] =?ISO-8859 ... An untasted address format for me.
Hello Oliver,

Am 17:58 12/11/02 +0100 hat Oliver Egginger geschrieben:

>Hello,

>From time to time some mail clients send emails with recipient addresses
>like this:
>=?ISO-8859-1?Q?u1020=3F=40monet=2Efh=2Dfriedberg=2Ede?=@mailserv.fh-giessen

                      ^^ ^^      ^^   ^^          ^^
        Charakter     ?  @       .    -           .

Complet not coded:

ISO-8859-1?Q?u1020?@????=@mailserv.fh-giessen.de

which means, the recipient has the E-Mail u1020@???
which is hostet on the mailserver mailserv.fh-giessen.de

>I think that it has something to do with a replacement of german
>"Umlaute" ("Umlaute" are special german charakters).

It is a misconfiguration and wie Du oben siehst ist kein umlaut dabei.

>In any case this addresses are the result of typos, cause we don't
>provide german "Umlaute" in mail addresses.

These are not allowed in RFC

>So the best way would be to reject this addresses with a 5xx smtp error.

It is a legal Header as I have read.

>Surprisingly Exim accept this addresses, thus I suppose that
>these addresses are syntactically correct.

s.o.

>Unfortunately these addresses produce a parsing error during the ldap
>lookup (we use a LDAP-Server for address lookups).
>Here is the corresponding output from the message log:

I think, you can configure ldap for this.

>(Fortunately it don't happens frequently.)

I think it is a misconfigured MUA.

>regards
>oliver

Schöne gruesse aus Strasbourg